Tuesday, July 19, 2011

WIP It Good

Moving is a long and often arduous affair. You never know how much crap you've accumulated over the years until you have to pack it all in boxes, or donate it, or just throw it away. Then there's the unpacking, organizing, and furniture building process at the new place. It's not neverending, but it does suck up an awful lot of time.

Ultimately, it's worth it in the end. It just takes a while to get there.

New house, new work in progress. I shelved the one I had been working on. It wasn't boring or anything, but it didn't really hold my interest in writing. The last time I wrote a book with this character, I put it on the shelf for a while, came back to it, and finished it. My hope is that I'll do the same thing again. I just needed to work on something else. There was a character (and his story) in my head, pounding away to get out and onto the page.

So far, I like the new WIP. It's early, and the chapters are short, so I think it'll have a nice, quick pace. Right now, I have a character and a few ideas, and that's enough to get started. I think I know where I want the book to go, but we'll see if the character pulls me in a different direction. That's the thing about characters: they tell their stories, not the ones we want to impose on them.

It's still early in this newest journey, but now that I'm (mostly) unpacked and have more free time, I'm looking forward to seeing where it takes me.

Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment